Monday, January 15, 2007

"You couldn't make it in the NFL"

There are some commercials out right now that show some kind of theoretical inside look at an NFL locker room. One is of a guy getting his dislocated finger popped back into place...another is of a guy going to dress for the game, finding an XL jock strap. Both end with the tag line "You couldn't make it in the NFL."

Now, I know I couldn't make it in the NFL but those reasons have nothing to do with it. I don't care about broken bones...I've literally played full speed in a game with a shattered wrist and a leg broken in two places at various times. I've broken all of my fingers (not thumbs) in volleyball and played with a cracked hip against the desires of my coach. I don't care about how I stack up against other guys in regards to physical stature. Filling an XL jock strap is by no means a goal of mine considering I'd have to weigh 300+ lbs to do so. No, none of that has anything to do with why I wouldn't make it in the NFL. THIS, however, does...



Reggie Bush, who's a freakin beast of a rookie and a heck of a football player, gets destroyed. I actually think his heart stopped beating a couple times during that sequence of events. He can play in the NFL, though, because his brain told his heart to start beating again, that all he did was get tackled and should get back up again.

If that happend to me, my brain would let me live long enough only to dig my own grave right there, then throw myself in it. That was by far the most fierce hit I've seen this year, and possibly ever.

No comments: