Sunday, January 28, 2007

The company dinner

Each year my company throws a fancy recognition dinner. Minimum dress is semi-formal... held at the J.W. Marriott...filet mignon is always served...that kind of thing. I try to go each year as a matter of principle - if someone is going to pay for me to have a nice free steak dinner, I'm going to eat it. I wasn't gonna go this year but a couple of people reminded me that it would be a good idea to go (ironically, more people asked if my hat was going than if I was going). Anywho, I went. I had full goatee goin' and a couple gals thought it looked pretty sexy so that's always nice.

It was a good time. Bought a margarita which was mixed on the spot and was pretty damn good (and, strangely, cheaper than the "specialty" beers they were serving). Steak was cooked well this year and was served with a nice salmon. The potatoes were a little funny this year, but that's because they weren't potatoes - they were rice. Of course I didn't know until after the fact, but that's cool. It was still quite edible.

The dessert had so much promise only to let me down in the end. It was this chocolate mint pudding parfait thing with a few berries and some chocolate stick (which I mistook for a straw...oops). I started eating the chocolate part only to find three bites into the desert the banana cream center. GAG! It was too late, though...it went down the gullet so I had to run to the sundry shop for some Benedryl. Fortunately no real complications. It's only a mild food allergy but still makes things uncomfortable.

Anywho, we moved onto the dance afterwards and for the first time that I can remember the bass wasn't blowing the place up, which means I got to stay for the whole time! I don't really dig dancing all that much...haven't since high school, and clubs freak me out...but there are some songs that get me movin' instantly. One of them is Yeah by Usher, but of course he didn't play that until the last 15 minutes of the evening. Oh well, could have been worse.

Anywho, during the dance this guy Steve (I think that was his name) who was hired this past Friday started dancing with Susan Frank, our CEO. He's a bit of a Napoleon Dynamite lookin' fellow so it made it even funnier...

No comments: