Tuesday, January 02, 2007

2006 - A year in review

My buddy Joe and I always spend New Years Day together, or at least the better part of it, doing nothing but being lazy and watching football. This year was no different. What was different, though, was our annual year-in-review. Typically we'll rehash the best- and worst-of as well as hopes/resolutions for the new year, if any; for some reason that just didn't happen this year. It doesn't feel like the end of a year without it and it's a good exercise to see where you've come from anyway, so here's my annual review. The best and worst of 2006. We'll start with the worst first (gotta leave on a high note).

Dishonorable mention: Losing my cell phone (don't ever do this); Krispy Kreme closing down in AZ and Dunkin Donuts running out of them (seriously, it happened); Not finishing my current position at work strongly (at this point I'm doing what I can to just tie up loose ends...my old team and team lead deserve better); Getting humbled by a dear friend (man did that smart, and man did I deserve it); Homemade wings (dear God, never again...); the holidays and the not funness that comes with them (I did my best to avoid it this year...at least I was able to put it off until the weekend before Christmas, but man did it hit like a brick); the continuing war in Iraq (would be higher if I had any loved ones over there); 143 straight days w/no rain (this almost made the top five but was eeked out); waiting to fall asleep every night (it's not a whole lot easier now than it was a couple years ago); blowing calls in the FMA world championships (I know people make mistakes, but I knew better)

5. System outages at work in April. For the better part of a week we had a core system outage at work, meaning people couldn't access their funds normally. Days worth of listening to people just ripping on my employees, myself, my mother, my boss, the president...whoever. Plus the longest work week I've had at the credit union.

4. Seeing my employees crying. My agents at work have some real world problems they deal with on a daily basis. This year we've survived more deaths in the immediate family and critical health issues than we've ever seen, both total and per capita. It was a draining time to be a manager, but I'm glad I could be there for them.

3. A cancelled beach vacation. Talk about getting punched in the crotch and kicked in the shins at the same time while watching someone eat you heart. It was nice to have some alone time at home, but I don't get a lot of chances to be at the beach for a week for only $150. This really put a bad light on the couple months to follow.

2. Beginning of the End at work. It started with Veronica leaving in March and finding out while I was in Vegas. Then I sensed Shannon would be leaving and it ended up that I wasn't wrong. Then Tina leaves. In the course of 6 months I go from bottom of the list to most senior supervisor. It started in April; the canceled vacation was the final straw. It's a shame, too. Maybe I'll be back there again one day.

1. The Silent Treatment. Little in this life is worse in my eyes than receiving the silent treatment. I happened to earn it twice this year from two different people. I hate it. I truly do. Scream at me, yell, punch, sign language, smoke signals, blow up my car, steal my money, rip up letters and pictures...whatever. All of that is more preferable to a complete void of communication. There's not much more detrimental to a relationship than this. If I do nothing to receive that treament, that's different. Then they can go jump off a bridge for all I care. But that's not what happened. Whether or not I actually deserved this particular "punishment" is a subject for debate I suppose, but the fact is I still did something to prompt it. I have to live with the consequences of my actions. I hurt these people and this is what I got. And that sucks. I didn't want to hurt either of these two folks to begin with, and I really don't want to hurt them now...not if it means a communication black hole.

And now for the best!!!

Honorable Mention: Judging the FMA World Championships (even if I did botch a couple calls, it was still an honor to judge a world championshp!); V is for Vendetta (I absolutely loved this movie and it was seen with my old college roommate and best friend); Seeing Wicked (what an amazing show, seen with amazing company!); Comments on the hat (by far the most widely and wildly loved hat I've worn, and the only one that's actually earned me flirts from ladies); Ohio State earning a shot for the national championship (I'm gonna die a couple years earlier for how close it was, but still...); A week at the Ritz (If my office could be a room at the Ritz-Carlton, who knows what I might accomplish in this world - they make you feel like pure, living success); the Aerosmith/Lenny Kravitz concert (just a great show); 1st Annual Penny War at work (well received by the teams, by upper management, and by the children at Phoenix Children's Hospital)

5. Being reconnected with folks from my past. Generally speaking I don't like to be found by people I went to high school with, old flings, etc. This year was a little different, though, as a few key folks and I were somehow re-united, including my sister Malissa and my nemesis Colleen. I also met with my ex-wife for the first time since the divorce and allowed her the opportunity to make her peace. It went well. I'm glad she got the opportunity she needed; I doubt we'll ever intentionally meet again.

4. Getting published. I know it's only Scrye magazine, but that's not the point. For an English teacher, getting your work published in a national publication is a mark of legitimacy. Plus I got paid which was even better!

3. Getting offered a significant raise for a new position/lateral transfer. No promotion, but a fair raise over the course of 11 weeks. Plus I essentially get handed the reigns of a department. It's good to be wanted, and after not getting a management position added to my old department plus having to cancel my vacation for the privilege while others take that same week off...it was a little vindication for me.

2. The trip to NY/Columbus/Indy. What a ride. Seeing great friends, the city that never sleeps, my oldest friend's daughter, old friends, and good company. Road trip, plane trip, long trip. Helicopters landing on the highway and Mac's quoting the Juggernaut. It all only served to let me know that I've got to get back to New York City sometime! Greg, Hayden, Tudy, Joey, Mike, and the PressPass crew...thanks for making the trip what it was!

1. The Ninja. Every now and then someone comes into your life that leaves such an indelible impression that you know your life will never be the same. Brittney Jo, Office Ninja, is just such a person. I knew as soon as I saw her that she would be trouble. I wasn't disappointed. She was the reason I maintained any semblance of sanity during the April outages. She made the canceled vacation bearable, even enjoyable. She helped me realize the versatility of McDonalds receipts and that golf courses really can be relaxing. She helped me to find a new appreciation for libraries. And she gave me the best birthday gift I've ever received....a simple, carefully made little blue wooden box. Thanks for the memories, thanks for being an office ninja with me, and thank you for being my friend. I look forward to seeing you dance again one day... I'll be in the crowd when it happens, watching you reach for the stars after the sun has dipped below the horizon.

To all of you that made the year what it was...thank you so much for the memories and the good times!!! And now for 2007...

No comments: