Sunday, November 19, 2006

What a weekend...

It started with a terrible first half of a work day on Friday, followed by me yelling at someone I love, then just feeling like dung the second half of the workday.

I got home and a buddy of mine canceled plans.

Shortly after that, I find out that a woman I used to love recently was left by the same guy that was the catalyst of the end of my relationship with her in the first place. I went completely numb. I knew he would hurt her at some point so as she tells me what happened, it's like I'm seeing the end of a movie I've already seen. There's not even feelings of "I told you so," or "I knew it!" It was more like reading lines in a history book and you've already taken the class. She speaks as though maybe she wants to make amends for past mistakes - not get back together, just make amends - so I agree to meet her for coffee. This would mark the first time I've really seen her since the split. It will likely end up being the last time I ever see her in any meaningful capacity again.

After only a couple hours sleep I'm up and off to a volunteer "Mutt Strut" for a local canine rescue shelter through work. Evidently a group of my coworkers got together for what seemed to have been a rather...well, drunken time the night before and they weren't feeling so hot. I laughed. From there, it was straight back home for The Game.

Before the game started, tho, I find out someone I love was having a much rough weekend. I was happy to listen; fortunately everything will be okay.

The game started and my heart was beating at 170 and I was sitting the entire time, unless I was at the refrigerator or the grill. Part of this was because my heart sucks. Part of it was because the game was entirely too close for comfort. Good guys win, goin' to the ship. Now it's hurry up and wait to see if we get drawn for tix.

After the game, go to watch the fights last night and have my fill of beer and wings (NOT homemade wings, thank you). Silvia won in an exhausting 5-rounder that I'm sure Munson would have nearly won (if not won) if he could have even 4 more inches of height. Hughes lost to a very quick, very game St. Pierre. Can't wait for the rematch.

This morning/afternoon marked coffee with the woman I used to love. So strange. I thought I'd come away hurt, but I wasn't. There was nothing. It was like we just recently met and we were having lunch to chat. No hint of the past relationship was evident in her, and goodness knows I felt nothing. Barely a memory came to mind. On one level, it's mildly disappointing to think that the relationship wasn't strong enough to feel anything about just a few years after it ended...it's now barely more more than a casual acquaintance, but mostly it's just nice to see the proof of what I already knew - the healing is done; I've moved on.

Get home from lunch, watch football, etc, etc.

Strange weekend. I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Meh.

No comments: