Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Just one quick blog post...

It absolutely drives me crazy. At first I thought it was just a couple of people at my work. Then I started noticing it from a LOT of people at work. And now I just hear it all over.

"Just one quick question..."

Really? Is it really a quick question? Is it just one? And is it quick because the question itself is quick (although the answer may be ridiculously involved)? Or maybe it's quick relative to the time it takes Neptune to revolve around the sun?

You know what would make the questioning experience even quicker???? If you didn't preface it with "Just one quick question," or any variation thereof!!!

And please....PLEASE....if you insist on saying that, please don't have the nerve to follow it up with some stupid, unnecessary background information. Just ask the damn question so I can answer somebody else's quick inquiry.

In my area at work, seconds count. The funny thing is that the representatives are the ones that should be counting the seconds the most (considering there's financial gain to do so, not to mention higher end-user satisfaction), and yet they're the biggest offenders.

Heh. Irony.

Sorry. I just heard it said one too many times today.

/end rant

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just a quick question...

I find this interesting because there's a chance you heard a different phrase more frequently over the same period of time, yet THIS phrase is the one that bugged you. Perhaps it's because the phrase was inevitably followed by a question. Perhaps it's the question that annoyed you and not really the phrase. Maybe you just don't like being disturbed from your work to help someone else. I realize you're their manager, but I'm willing to bet that the questions you answered were "simple enough" that they could have done without bothering you. I get the same way too, you're going about your business, doing YOUR job, when someone asks you a question and the first thing you think is "and how do you hold a position of employment in this company?" (And heaven help me if it comes from someone higher up than me.)

How many people said this to you recently and in what period of time?

I know, I know... you hate me right now. Have a good day! (=

- Enrique