Monday, August 21, 2006

"I look like crap today..."

Nonsense.

That's what that line is. It's nonsense. Sure, maybe folks don't look their best when they say it, but who cares? Who are they really trying to impress?

I hear that line or some variation thereof more frequently than I care to admit. I hear it from friends, from family, from coworkers and peers, simple acquaintances...even people I meet at conventions. But man oh man, who are you trying to impress? Me? If you're a friend or loved one, why are you still trying to impress me? I'm something of an idiot when it comes to fashion so of all the folks to worry about impressing, I ought to be towards the bottom. And I promise I'm not going to run the other way if you're not looking your Sunday best. If you're a coworker or acquaintance, why do you really care what I think about how you look? And if you're at a convention...well, unless you're a competition cosplayer and you're making it a point to look a certain way, take a look around you - many of the folks there are...uh...not necessarily the most attractive to begin with.

But my point is this. I know we all like to look good - that's understandable - but I don't much care how you look, or how your house looks, or how your car looks. So relax. Be comfortable and kick back. You don't have to impress me, especially if you're a friend or family member or loved one. If you want to look good, do it because you just like to look good, or because you're on the prowl, or because you're on a date w/your loved one and you just want to be dressed up for the occasion. But not for others in general...who cares what they think.

(Yes, I know...most typically we are attracted to our girlfriends/significant others physically before anything else. And yes, it's nice for them to look nice and sometimes it's even cool to be all dolled up and such. But I've never been dating someone that I didn't think was attractive even when they were out of make-up and in grungy clothes (albeit clean) and their hair was all messed up. That's probably part of the reason I was attracted to them to begin with because something in me saw that I could see them like that and still think they were beautiful. And make-up is overrated anyway. So yes, this even applies to them.)

4 comments:

Miss Insanity said...

I guess I better stop using that line... if it bothers you (who I don't know from Adam) I am sure it bothers others (men in particular). From a strange girl to a strange guy, thanks for the heads up!

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think people that say stuff like that (same for comments about age) are fishing for a compliment to make them feel better. I'm not saying they're clinically depressed or anything, just that they'd like to hear something nice said about that right at that moment.

- Enrique

BubbaJoe said...

See, this is where I am different. I do not care about how I look, how I dress or any other physical appearance crap. All I care about is that I am not offending someone with my smell (breath, or BO) or something else that can be avoided and could be unsanitary. Other than that, I don't give a flying flip if I meet someone elses standards of fashion, fitness, or general keptness.

Anonymous said...

That Big Dog t-shirt is offense. Get rid of it or look for another job.