Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Heralding in a new era

The good news: A peer of mine is leaving the department right as a manager's position is included in our proposed budget. Assuming (and this is something of a precarious assumption) that the manager's position makes it through the budget and is approved, this makes me an early favorite for the promotion.

The bad news: This peer is also a dear friend of mine. She was my trainer when I first started out, then became my boss, a mentor, a friend, my ex-wive's boss, a sounding board, a professional resource, a co-conspirator, and general partner in crime. We can turn to each other to pop off about work or go have a beer or talk football or have dinner with the family or go see each other's drama productions or whatever. And she's leaving. She's been there through some of my most challenging moments in life and soon I'll no longer have her there.

It's a good move for her and her family and the promotion might be a good move for me, but I'm selfishly not sure that I'm willing to trade her for a promotion. Today and yesterday she's been pretty tear-filled as she's told myself and our boss. I'll probably return the favor when she finally leaves. Dammit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If she didn't have a family, I'd recommend that "a date is in order".

- Enrique