Thursday, August 10, 2006

Going to Indy by way of NCY...FTW?

I got packed and cleaned up pretty quickly this morning, but there were three stops to be made - a vitamin C trip to Frys, a stop off at the Emerald Palace campus to dance a long-overdue jig (I couldn't go inside since I was on my 5-day mandatory trip which means everyone on the south end of the building could have seen my 'leet dance moves), and a stop at the brother's house for the laptop (thanks Sonny!). After that it was a scary van ride to the airport.

I love the airport, but I really enjoy Sky Harbor over many of the others for one main reason - the drunken automated terminal attendant. It's a program that recognizes phonograms and has a voice clip for each phonogram presented in a message. Some messages are pre-programmed to repeat every X minutes; others are paging folks to various areas. It's the latter of the two types that are rather humorous because, while it DOES recognize phonograms, it DOESN't know when to use the various sound clips. So, if you were to try and page "Bret Favre" it would pronounce it "Bret Farve" (AS ANY GOOD YOUNG ENGLISH STUDENT SHOULD! How the hell that's not Farve, I'll never know). The other problem with it is that it doesn't understand standard timing/spacing or pauses in diction so every phonogram in a word is rather slurred together (thus, the drunken). As often as I've heard this thing in action, it never gets old.

The original plan was to fly to NYC, meet up w/Greg, and drive through Columbus to Indianapolis thereby making what should have been a 3400 mile round trip into roughly 6000. Well done! Plans changed for the better, though, as Greg - genius that he is - came up with the idea of detouring down to Kentucky to see Aaron Harang pitch against Chris Carpenter. More miles, but more fun! Cool! Wait, no, plans changed again. Now we're picking up his friend at Port Columbus and meeting a couple of ladies from GAMA, Jody and Sue, for lunch but I guess we're not hitting the game. Oh well, I'd love to see the game but lunch will still be good, as is splitting the vehicle and gas costs three ways instead of two.

We ended up sitting on the plane for about a 1/2 hour as they delayed all the traffic that would be heading N/E to the St. Paul routing. I don't mind sitting on the plane, but the problem was that the engines were still running and causing the plane to bounce up and down, simulating it's own turbulance. Perfect. We were delayed to avoid turbulence, so we decided to create our own? Yeah!!! F you, control tower! We got your turbulence right here!

So here I sit, about 105 minutes left of the flight, largly surrounded by children.

CAA ACA
CCA MAA
AAA CAC

Fortunately only one is an infant and has been relatively well behaved.

So far, good trip, save for one minor...well, no, pretty big detail - I'm mad hungry!!! I really didn't feel like the airline food and the Italian Sausage and fries I had before I left isn't doing the trick. They say NYC is the city that doesn't sleep. Well, Ol' Blue Eyes, mah tummy is prayin' that you're right because the first thing I'm going to ask Greg to do is take me to get some grub.

That's all for now.

No comments: