Thursday, August 24, 2006

Boof? Really?

How can you not be a fan of a pitcher named Boof? Nope, that's not his nickname. That's his real name. Boof.

player photo 26 Boof Bonser, SP
Height/Weight: 6-4/260
Birthdate: 10/14/1981
Birthplace: St. Petersburg, FL
Bats/Throws: R/R

I don't think he's foreign which makes me wonder, how does a mother come to name her son Boof? My dad wanted to name me BF (for real! Just the letters BF for my first name, not initials) so that I would be BF Goodrich. Mom about broke his fingers at the thought and that ended that.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Watching the game last night, I learned a lot about Boof. His birth name is John, but Boof was a nickname his mother gave him. He had his name legally changed to Boof in 2001, though.

Sports needs more names like Boof, Boomer (Esiason), and Pork Chop (Womack).

Anonymous said...

How can you forget Pacman Jones?!

- Enrique

Unknown said...

He's not forgotten by any means. He makes his own (bad) press, and speaking to the topic at hand, his real name is Adam. Nicknames don't count for this one.