Saturday, May 05, 2007

It's just too scary

It's, in part, because of cases like this that I won't teach any more. Chances are all seven of these folks are guilty of the crime. The fact of the matter, though, is that any district who gets a semi-serious claim of sexual misconduct pointing to a young, single, male teacher is going to at the very least put that teacher on administrative leave. Even if the facts prove the accusers made up the story, there will always be a sliver of doubt...a shadow of "what if" that lurks in the students', parents', and teachers' minds and that is simply too uncomfortable.

Plus there's the prospect of a false case actually going to trial, in which case I'd have to make a claim against the $2M insurance policy I was carrying for legal services even though I didn't do anything wrong.

When I taught and coached, never once did I look at my girls in an inappropriate manner, let alone touch them or talk to them like that. The fact that seven different offenders have come to light in such a short amount of time only illustrates the fact that our metro area does have a REAL problem with this, and has for years. It truly makes me sad, and makes my stomach turn a little at the same time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Plus you're old and scrawny... I doubt the teen-age girls would even want you. (= You're safe!

- Enrique

Unknown said...

If that's the truth, then I make old and scrawny look daaaaamn good!

Anonymous said...

I think you're treading awfully close to Hayden's territory.

- Enrique