Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Teams I like, Teams I don't

Like...

1. Ohio State. I'm a Buckeye, born and raised in Columbus, OH. There is no other school greater than Ohio State, and anybody who knows anything in Columbus knows this. It is an incontrivertable fact of life (unlike my spelling).
X. Arizona State. My family moved to AZ in the early 80's. Been living in the Phoenix area ever since. Go Devils!
X. Notre Dame. Fun for me to watch...I enjoy following the independent teams, and ND plays a hell of a schedule every year. That's the reason I followed Penn State, too (until they joined the Big Ten that can't count).
X. Florida State. It seems to me you have to like one of the three big Florida schools. I can't stand Miami and its cockiness and when I was forming my opinions Spurrier was coaching Florida and running up the score in the 4th which I disagree with. So FSU it is.

There's others that I like/pull for, but these are the ones at the forefront of my mind.

Those that I don't like...
1. University of Michigoboom. The name that I dare not speak. The root of all evil. The spawn of Satan. Nothing good comes from Ann Arbor (as far as I'm concerned Tom Brady jumped straight to the pros from high school). Directions to Ann Arbor from Columbus...north 'till you smell it, west 'till you step in it. I could go on and on.
2. University of Arizona. Slightly less hated than Michigan since they're ASU's rival.
Y. University of Miami. Your mascot is a hurricane, yet an Ibis (or is it a crane) represents you? And you have a giant U on your helmet. Where the filth does that come in. Oh, and they're a bunch of cocky SOBs. I know, I know, Ohio State often has had thugs coming out of there. But I'm from there, which forgives a lot (not murder...I live in Arizona, but Lauren Wade murdered my friend and fellow teammate. F that.).
Y. Tennessee. Because they owned OSU during the 90s. Then again pretty much every top 10 team owned OSU during the John Cooper era. He was a hell of a recruiter, but he couldn't motivate a team to beat a jr. high girls flag football team if they were ranked in the top 10. And their mascot is a volunteer, which strikes not a bit of fear into me whatsoever.
Y. Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, and the Big 12 in general. Because they're genrally good, and they generally end up beating my teams at the worst times. And I don't like their colors and/or mascots (or in Texas' case, both). And they usually take the TV slots when I'd rather see other teams. And I still think that Auburn would have given USC a better game last year, although I think USC would have won either game. And I still think Penn State should have been the champ back in 94/95 when Nebraska somehow bested them. But whatever.

Folks, that's part of what makes college football/sports great...passionate fans for no other reason than "Just cuz, and up yours!" I know that Ohio State isn't the best at everything, and a lot of times they're not even good or likeable, but I'll root for them until I'm in the grave, then I'll root for them some more as I kick Bo Schembechler and Lloyd Carr in the junk.

No comments: