Friday, August 03, 2007

Home to Wendy's, whiskey, and....what???

I was doing some general surfing when I saw on Yahoo's top ten list the Dublin Irish Festival. Having never heard of it before I clicked on the link, which then ultimately led me here...

It didn't take me long to figure out that by Dublin it wasn't refering to Dublin, Ireland, but instead to the great city of Dublin, Ohio, suburb of Columbus, home of the Buckeyes!!! Dublin, of course, is home to a few pretty great thigns in and of themselves, chiefly Wendy's international headquarters (mmm...frostys and chili and burgers and potatos and....).

Besides Wendy's and all of its glory, though, it's also home to the - duh! - Dublin Irish Festival. In case you're wondering, yes, Dublin, OH is named for their homeland capital, and yes, there's lots of folks w/Irish heritage in Ohio. So I'm looking through the Festival's web pages and see they have an Irish whisky drinking seminar (which could most accurately be summarized in three words... "DON'T DRINK IT!!!"), dancing competitions, and...Gaelic Games!!! To the Gaelic Games page I go!

This, my friends, might have been a mistake.

On the page I learn that tug o' war apparently has Irish roots...a fairly benign fact. I keep scrolling down, however, to see that hurling and darts are also events. Hmmm...now wait just a minute. At the same place where Ire-folk and other lads and lassies are gonna be chuggin' the whisky and the pints, we're also going to allow pointed objects and large blunt boulders to be thrown? Or maybe by Hurling they really mean "projectile vomiting" (which would be more appropriate since that's what Irish whiskey makes you do)?

(Seriously...have you ever tried it??? Freakin' foul!!! Anyone that's take a shot of Jameson or some other such concoction and says they enjoyed has some faulty taste buds.)

None of this, however, even compares to the first event they have listed...an event so...uh...I can't even describe it. Because I don't know what it is. It sure does sound weird, though, and the name of it suggests that it does NOT mix well with alcohol...

Click here to view a PDF flyer (yes, a flyer!!!) for the event to see what I mean.

If anyone knows what this illustration is, please let me know. Unless you figure I don't want to know what it is, of course, in which case I'll trust your judgement.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The picture is hand holding a bean bag of some sort.

As for what they are doing at an event with a name like that, you got me.

Starfire said...

Cornhole or Corn Toss is similar to horseshoes except you use wooden boxes called cornhole platforms and corn bags instead of horseshoes and metal stakes.

EJ said...

I knew those Buckeye fans were "different".

- Enrique