Sunday, April 23, 2006

How can you be afraid of ET???

One thing that I distinctly recall about the friendship between Shannon and myself was her fear of ET (the alien, not Entertainment Tonight, although some might make a case that Mary Hart is one in the same). I, on the other hand, loved ET, largely because of Drew Barrymore's presence in the movie and claim upon my heart - yes I was smitten at age four - but ET was still cool in his own right. In any case, I came across another cutie gal at work that also has a fear of ET and it got me to thinkin...how can you still be afraid of ET?

Let's review.

ET never hurt anyone that was nice to him.
He's way smart.
He fits in with stuffed animals.
He'll trick or treat with you and not steal your candy.
His arms are toothpicks and his legs are like 9 inches long so you don't really have to be afraid of melee attacks, and even if he had a close-range weapon, all you have to do is walk quickly away.
ET can't give chase to you since his legs are only about 9 inches long - his 40 time would be something like 23 seconds. Think about it...if he starts barrelling down the trail after you at too fast of a clip his body is so proportionately long that eventually he'd just plop over because he's too top-heavy, and even more so if he does his go-go-gadget extend-o-neck trick.
He'll even chill with you and have a beer or ten!

These are not things to fear...these are things to cheer! Yup, I give ET my golden stamp of no-fear approval.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only recall being scared when Elliot's out in the field looking for something (?) and comes across E.T.