Sunday, August 28, 2005

Why can't they figure it out?

Science has done some amazing things. It allows me to communicate with people that are thousands of miles, sometimes continents, away in the blink of an eye. It figured out how to heat up food in seconds, and make food last for longer than it ought. It helps me get to work in minutes and conventions in hours. It's even cured diseases.

But one thing it hasn't done is given me a blanket rhinovirus/adenovirus vaccine - also known as a cure for the common cold.

And I ask, why not? If science helps us put boobs on DVD and give us 4-hour stiffies (ah, the joys of late night television commercials), why can't they fix it so I don't sneeze so much that my head and chest feel like they're going to explode from the internal pressure?

While that's more of a rhetorical question than anything, I still find it frustrating for two reasons. One is that I have a "common cold" at the moment and the symptoms of said cold aren't fun. The other is that I've fallen victim to something common, which distresses me (more than it should). I really don't like the idea of being the victim of something common. It's almost like an assault to my pride. "What do you mean a cheap, common cold is gonna beat MY immune system?" I mean, influenza, streptococcus, stapholococcus, pneumococcal infections aka pneumonia, etc...they all have menacing names...names that are recognized and feared (even if abreviated). But not rhinoviruses. In fact, there are so many of them that we just get lazy and call them "colds." Common colds. Bah.

Well, dammit, enough I say! Scientists of the world unite! I want to see school fundraisers! I want to see benefit auctions and tribute concerts! I want to see telethons with celebrities and tympanies on a three-day weekend! Together, we can find a cure for the ravaging rhinovirii!!!

Until then, I'll have some Dayquil and complain.

2 comments:

Hayden said...

The answer is simple. Scientists don't spend their time on "common" problems. That or they don't spend enough time in the lab and are out and about volunteering at gaming conventions. :p

Anonymous said...

Scientists believe we come from monkeys and that the earth and stars just exploded into existence. I don't rely on them for much. Do you want to know what cures the common cold? Sleep. And at a decent time I might add. :) *kiss*