Friday, August 26, 2005

I can't believe I made it this far in life...

...without killing someone. Or myself. Or getting fired. Or sent home from school. Or something equally terminal, relatively speaking.

As I've previously described, I'm not exactly a morning person. Far from it, in fact. When my alarm clock rings the only part of my brain that actually wakes up is the part that knows how to control my body to make the alarm turn off and, in theory, sleep more. Of course, that usually doesn't happen. Instead I somehow make it into the shower, often times turning off and on the water multiple times because I forgot soap, or to rinse the shampoo out of my hair (shut up...you still have to wash what's there), or something equally fundamental to showering. Frequently I'll find myself pulling into work without remembering how I got there, as though I blinked my eyes and magically warped from home to work (my gas gauge tells me otherwise). Goodness knows how I ever got homework done during school.

In any case, on the way to work in the carpool van I was resting my head on my hand when it occurred to me that my face felt kinda prickly. The obvious *why* to that issue, however, didn't. Then I get to work (which in itself is a miracle because the driver today was insane...she drove 3/4 of the way there without having the van completely in gear..."What's that sound?"..."Oh, that would be the transmission burning up at 7500 rpms as we go 30 mph) and finally catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror when I finally realized that I forgot to shave. Neet.

Now that I've realized I have forgotten something so basic, I begin to wonder how many other times in life I've forgotten to shave. Or brush my teath. Or lock my car. Or even put clothes on (although I don't recall ever being sent home or arrested for excessive nakedness, so it's either never happened or I look great in the buff and nobody cares). One of the gals at work then mentions to me that I forgot to shave, and wonders out loud how anybody could possibly forget such a thing. Evidently she knows when she forgets to shave whenever she pulls her pants on. I told her that I don't exactly wear pants on my face. She didn't find that funny. I did. It's morning.

No comments: