Monday, March 05, 2007

Stuff

I've said it before - I'm not a "stuff" guy. Some folks want a lot of stuff. I don't have much need for it. I'd like a few more gadgets and toys, sure, and there are a couple big things I'd like to have - a Corvette and a little place by the water, with a little boat - but that's really it.

The stuff that I really want is immaterial and can't be bought for the most part, so what I do have may as well be shared. My friends understand this. Many of my friends, at some point, have had free reign on my gear and my food, such as my college roommate. A very select few still have that privilege.

The thing is, you can't take it with you. And I'm in a position right now that I have nobody else that I'm responsible to. No spouse. No children. Almost no family whatsoever. So I have the freedom to make such decisions, and what little I have is meaningless unless it's shared with others. If I'm not gonna do anything with my stuff, others I love may as well get joy out of it. I've bought people all sorts of things and never looked back, never regretted it. If I ever have a family of my own someday then things will need to change. Until then...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're still responsible to your loyal readers, so don't go dying or anything!!!

- Enrique

Jason said...

I sort of feel the same way (minus the banker's income). I'm 33 and unattached and am starting to wonder who I can share my toys with.

That's probably why I spent too much on Emily's birthday and Christmas presents.