Saturday, March 17, 2007

Nyla - the first few days

She's a handful, she is.

The first night was hell. She kept head butting me (seriously) and purring and meowing and walking on me and digging and everything BUT sleeping. I got about three hours total sleep that night in half-hour spurts, then went to work the next day looking and feeling like a zombie.

She absolutely has an infatuation for the computer desk which really terrified me the next day while I was at work because I was afraid she'd knock everything off or break something, but she didn't. Still scares the crap out of me, though. She likes the catnip mouse (i like watching her reaction...heeelarious! kitty pot!) well enough, but REALLY digs the mouse-on-a-string. The second day I also gave her an empty cardboard box to play with that she seems to enjoy as well as an empty paper towel tube - she attacks that thing with all the ferocity that a 7-month old kitten can muster until it gets it teeth stuck in the tube.

I originally thought I wouldn't let the cat in the bedroom. That thought was dismissed quickly. Errr...more like eradicated. Evidently my sleep is dependent upon her being in the bedroom at night, or at least having access to it.

The third night I introduced Nyla to the water spray bottle. She woke me up by kneeding my neck. I wasn't havin' any of that. How am I supposed to know that she's not actually trying to strangle me in my sleep?

Did I mention the cat is insane? Every now and then she'll be sitting/laying down, then make a strange noise and bolt full speed at absolutely nothing at all until she pummels herself into the wall. It's like she's hallucinating that something's there. She also VERY rarely actually just lays there while you're petting her or rests in your lap like other cats. Instead she kneads and moves and head butts me. Neet!!! In fact for the first time today she actually just laid in my lap and fell asleep as apposed to circling 'round and 'round. While normally I'd be in favor of this, I really wanted to keep her awake so that maybe she'd sleep through the night.

Cleaning/changing the litter isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I actually researched the litter a lot to make sure I wasn't allergic to it, it was effective, and easy on the cat. Of course it's one of the most expensive litters, but litter's not all that expensive so no biggie.

Hmmm...this cat is almost sounding like an infant in some ways...

No comments: