Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Real

As humans we have ways we memorialize folks. Some of us are dearly fond of pictures and take/display them for folks we love. Others use mementos and keep them near. Still others use people, introducing folks to their best friends and loved ones to be judged and deemed worthy or wanting. Most of us use some combination of these methods.

When you're memorialized, you by definition become more unforgettable. There becomes a more significant body of evidence that you existed in that person's life. You become more real.

Today I became more real when I met someone's mother. There was nothing fancy or formal about the meeting. Nothing fake. I was me and, as far as I can tell, she was her. But now she's seen me. Now I'm no longer electrons or light waves...now I'm more than just a voice in the background. Now I'm real.

And that, by far, is the coolest thing that's happened to me so far this year.

(To be even more clear, I actually met the 2nd mother as well, and nearly met the long-time friend. The mother even suggested we all have dinner some time! Sooo cool! Dinner or no dinner, it's just good to be more real :-) )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seems an appropriate time for a mama joke.