Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Ritz

Here are a few pics of the place. They're not the greatest, and they don't even come close to capturing how incredible the place was. Do your best to ignore the pattern of the interior decoration - it's pretty ugly - and appreciate it for what it is.

Every day when I pulled in to have my car valet parked (for free!), the cars that lined the streets were all foreign - either German, Italian, or English. The place absolutely reeked of success. The Illinois basketball team stayed there during the mini-tournament and their coaches were across the hall from us breaking down game film early in the week. Later on started a M.D.'s conference, as well as a professional printing/publisher's conference. Everyone that walked through the doors of this place was there to either showcase their success or review other's success, and the staff there made you feel like it, too. I wasn't even staying there and they never saw my ID, but somehow they figured out who I was between the time I first walked in their doors and the first time I left. After that, every time I saw their staff..."Oh, hello Mr. Goodrich. Is there anything we can get for you? Let me get that door, Mr. Goodrich. Shall we make lunch reservations for you, Mr. Goodrich?" I'M NOT EVEN A PAID GUEST!!!! That didn't matter to them, though. They made me feel like they were better for having me in their establishment, and not the other way around. There was another gal that did happen to be staying there, and there was a local TV station that wasn't available in her room. There was a particular show she was interested in seeing but couldn't find it; after she called the front desk to inquire, they brought a 30 inch flat screen on a moving platform up to her room with rabbit ears just so she could watch the show, going out of their way to make sure she felt accomodated and served.

Out-freakin'-standing. If I ever get enough money to where I can stay at Ritz's wherever I go, they've got my business.

Besides the aforementioned heavenly cookies that they serve us after lunch, everything else they served us was equally as outstanding. Berry compote. Freshly made bread. Cointreau, melon, berries, and fresh mint. Full coffee and tea service w/good silver and all sorts of flavors and whipped cream and cinnamon sticks and honey and chocolate drops and five types of sweeteners. Orange, grapefruit, cranberry, and mango juices; and guava and peach nectars. Every kind of pastry you can think of, plus fresh apple turnovers. Hot oatmeal w/all the additives on the side. Yogurt parfaits. Full bagel service. Etc, etc, etc.

By the end of the week, I started to get the feeling like if I'd have called to the front desk and requested a harem, they'd have had one sent up for me. No request was too silly, no detail was too insignificant.

No comments: