Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I should've gone to Mexico

Today at 1:30AM my company enabled some enhanced security features on one of their core systems - a real big deal that we've been testing and prepping for months. We knew that the change was going to increase call volume no matter what, but we were doing our best to minimize or squash any possible negative impact. As I was leaving yesterday I told my boss that I'd stay up until the changes went live and then test them live on my own account to see if all went well. If it did, great! If not, I told him I'd just start my vacation one day early so if he didn't see me in the office that meant I was heading south towards the Mexican coast.

1:45 came around and everything tested fine. I went to bed w/no concerns. I woke up and checked my email at work, though, and saw errors. Lots of errors. In just the first hour. NOT an encouraging sight, and for some reason I started to hear mariachi music in the background...

I got to work and things didn't get better. In fact they got worse as the day went on, culminating in the system shutting down unexpectedly. AWESOME! The security enhancements made the system soooo secure that even WE couldn't use it! :-)

The truth of the matter is, strange as it sounds, this is actually the smoothest "upgrade" we've had to our online system since the inception of the current program. Impact truly was minimized (save for that whole "shutting down" thing) and the support staff performed admirably. But just because it went relatively smoothly doesn't make it any easier for myself or, more importantly, my staff to hear complaints all day long. I really SHOULD have gone to Mexico...would have been more fun. So, in honor of where I should have gone, I post the lyrics to a song of one of my favorite bands, The Refreshments - the musings and recollections of the lead singer, Roger Clyne, about one of his many trips to our good neighbor Mexico...

Here comes another song about Mexico
I just can't help myself
I lost my old lady
Got my lures
Got my bobbers
Now I'm gonna go
Got off in the wrong direction
Found a hooker and lost my erection
So I had to lie
In the letter to the boys back home

Now the good guys and the bad guys
Never work past noon around here
They sit side to side in cantinas
Talk to senoritas
And drink warm beer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wondered what happened to Decipher's IT Department.

- Enrique