Sunday, June 04, 2006

Should I Stay or Should I Go Now?

A new position was created at work - Project Analyst - that would be a feeder into Business Analysis and Project Management. I was looking at openings for a friend of mine when I saw the posting and was intrigued. I've seen what the analysts and managers at my company do and, in my not so humble opinion, with a little time and practice I could blow half of them away and hang with the rest. But to post out would mean to leave the team I took over just a few weeks ago...I took my previous team from worst to first in about 8 months and I intended to turn this team around as well. They're also probably going to be adding a manager to our department in the next year or two that I would be a prime candidate for (assuming I did well with this team which isn't such a huge assumption).

The problem is the acceleration of my career at the credit union. I've held four positions in 27 months there. That's not terrible since each was a promtion save for the most recent lateral move, but this would be a complete change in career path, and, politically speaking, a permanent one as far as my company is concerned. So do I stick it out where I'm at and go for the position that will be added in a year or two, or do I go where the opportunity for promotion will come sooner but likely dead end after that?

I decided to stay. I have unfinished business with my team and I don't feel comfortable leaving them in our current state. Besides that, there are people in my department, both peers and subordinates, that I've known for almost nine years and I'm not ready to leave them yet. We work well together, and that commeraderie and the relationships aren't easy to find or build. I still enjoy what I do, and I enjoy who I do it with (insert mom joke here). You can't hope for much better than that (insert another mom joke here) as far as work goes.

No comments: