Wednesday, May 24, 2006

The "To Do" List

Years ago I started a lifetime "To Do" list and began to fill it with accomplishments that generally required more than just a couple days of work and effort, but were more process oriented. Some might call them "goals," but progress towards goals is usually measured and I don't much give a damn about measurement or progress or "action items" when it comes to my list. They're just things I'd like to be able to do before I die.

In 2001 my roommate in college commented on a quote he read - "People who write things down get things done." That sounds kinda nifty and my observations have found that to be true more often than not. It occurred to me today that I've never written down my list. It's time I took care of that.

My Lifetime "To Do" List (in no particular order at all)

1. Learn to play guitar as well as I can type.
2. Run in and finish the New York Marathon
3. Learn and speak sign language fluently
4. Own a Corvette
5. Travel
6. Have a little place on the waterfront and a small boat.
7. Compete on an organized volleyball team that I didn't organize or coach

Since I've never written this down before I'm sure I've forgotten a few things, so this is likely to be added to later. I dunno if doing this will necessarily help me accomplish any of them, but it doesn't diminish my desire to finish them in the least.

3 comments:

Hayden said...

Doesn't "Travel" get a big mission accomplished at this point?

Unknown said...

Negative. I doubt traveling will ever be scratched off the list. I love the act of going somewhere with a good friend as much as enjoying the destination it self, I have plenty of places to see yet, and I still haven't travelled out of the country other than Tijuana and Juarez (which don't count).

Starfire said...

Good idea. Still here, just moved.