Friday, May 19, 2006

Mine Nemesis

As many of you know, my past doesn't like to stay there. Yesterday it found me again, this time in the form of the nemesis from my youth. From the moment I met her in 6th grade we didn't get along all that well, some days spitting such filth and venom towards one another that even Mike Tyson would say, "Damn, they're nuts!" She's the one that married me to my childhood love and wrote our divorce papers about two hours later. She's the one that disagreed with me on anything that mattered in the least...politics (what the hell...like that matters at all), religion, romance, entertainment, whatever. And she'd come up with some damn fine arguments, too. She was just always wrong. In fact, I dare say there's not 100 humans alive right now - and maybe not even ten - that have had more well thought out positions that were wrong. And that's really weird for a woman since they tend to be right. Of course I never dated this one so maybe that's why I was always right. Anywho, by the end of our senior years in high school we'd come to a point of mutual respect for one another, and the one project we actually worked together on landed our high school a $5,000 grant.

I noticed that earning the school money tends to cover up a multitude of absences.

In any case, she's my nemesis. And while she was never right (poor soul...), I'll say this much - I wouldn't be the same had it not been for her. She was, and probably will be to some degree, an intellectual honing stone and I'm thankful for the oportunity to have matched wits with her. The world better take cover if she ever figures out what she wants to do with her life. Or at the very least take notice.

For once, I'm even thankful my past found me.

Colleen, as you read this, take a mental picture. Store this one in your memory banks, email it to yourself, print it and send it to yourself in the mail, carve it in stone...just remember it. Neigh, savor it! It's the closest I'll ever be to admitting you're right about anything.

You've been linked.

2 comments:

Mkae said...

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO going to marry her.

THAT is how your past catches up to you! ;)

Anonymous said...

You were ALWAYS wrong!!! How can you still ignore it?

Hopefully you won't be surprised that I describe you in almost the same fashion. I just added the word arch to nemesis.

Did you know that one of the definitions of nemesis is the Greek goddess of retributive justice?