Friday, September 29, 2006

Firsts

A recently-experienced "first prompted the lists, so without further ado....

Top 5 Best "Firsts"

5. First Fire Team. In the military, the next largest "unit" above an individual Marine/Soldier is a fire team - 4 people, each with a specific function, that move together and work as a whole. I was the fire team leader of the Alpha 1 (First squad, first team) team, and we were the A1 team for a reason - we kicked tail . We complimented each other's strengths and weaknesses, and if they ever needed anything from supplies to answers, I did what I could to get them. It was, by far, the most enjoyable part about being in the Corps. Ooh Rah!

4. My First Convention. The first con I volunteered at was GenCon SoCal 03, aka RelaxaCon. This is where I met the entire Decipher crew, Josh, Hayes, Justin, Vinson, Denise, Dawn, Robbie (aka RobbieRules), Frank, and a slew of other players and peeps. I know it was slower than your average con but I had a freakin' awesome time, and this set the stage for everything else to come.

3. My First Dog. Benjamin, a beige Jack Russell/poodle mix. Smart, fiesty, delightfully spiteful. Lived 17 years before he finally had to be put down. Not a fun day at all. I haven't had another dog since, but I can't wait until that does happen!

2. My First Appartment. Most people love the day the graduated or their first car. Eh. For me, the day I was finally on my own was the best day in the world. True freedom (but not from bills, of course ;-) )!

1. Marriage. I don't call it a first because so far it's the only. But yes, I appreciated everything about being married, short as it was - even the arguments!

And now the worsts....

5. First loss of a friend to death. This wasn't Stuart as many might think. Rather, it was my 4th Grade teacher, Mrs. Nash. She brought in 7th and 8th grade texts for me to work from, particularly in math, and I still consistently scored in the 80% range in tests. Then she died and all advanced work ceased. The new teacher wouldn't provide it, and the following years I was just put in the advanced classes at the same grade level. Much boredom. Had Mrs. Nash lived through that year, who knows where/how I would have finished in school. That's not to say that I turned out bad by any means - I think I just would have had a bit of a different educational experience.
4. First time my best friend dated a girl I was interested. I was in San Diego for a few days with my family to celebrate my mother's birthday. He knew I was intersted in this girl and was going to be pursuing her upon my return. Knowing my plans, he pre-empted all that and asked her out while I was away, so I return to those two "dating." Not only that, but I had to observe them with each other during a New Year's Eve/Day trip to California and Knott's Berry Farm. Not my idea of fun. He and I don't always see eye to eye and that's fine, but that move nearly ended our friendship. We chose to work through it and I'm glad we did but thems was some rough few months.

3. First time I got drunk. Oh sweet mercy, I never want to feel that again. Millenium party, 12/31/99. My friend and I were drinking at his house party, then he sat next to me and we just started going glass for glass, beer for beer. As it turns out we downed 72 ozs of beer and jungle juice in about 72 minutes. He heaved for a day and a half. I drove to work at least hung over (and possibly even still drunk tho I shudder at that thought) to check on Y2K compliance, pulling into the parking lot RIGHT BEHIND MY BOSS. Then I got to spend the next three hours staring at fluorescent lights and computer screens. Here's a snippet of a conversation with a military/co-worker buddy of mine once I arrived...

David - "You look like hell man!"

Me - "Ugh...what fixes this? Make it go away. Please. Please."

David - "Nope. Nothing makes it go away other than time and sleep. Get some water in you, man...you're gonna need it."

2. First argument with my sister. I absolutely adore my sister and loved being her big brother. I took her everywhere when she was too young too drive, kicked her ex-boyfriends' asses when they hurt her, and listened to her when she cried. We went to baseball games, and I came to her softball games to watch her catch. When ever she needed me, I was there. The day finally came when I needed her. Instead, she decided to watch a taped episode of ER. I left her apartment absolutely pissed off. As I was pulling out of the parking lot she called on my cellphone to apologize and the argument ensued. I never...NEVER argued with my sister. Ever. I had no idea how to react. I was basically useless/catatonic the next day until we finally worked it out. We've never argued like that since.

1. Divorce. It's well in the past now...there's no bitterness and I've moved on. In fact, it was probably the most amicable divorce two people could have. But that was by far the most difficult event I've had to work through. I hope not to experience it again.

No comments: