Wednesday, February 01, 2006

The most decorated microphone ever

A buddy of mine called me up yesterday and said he had a spare ticket to the Lenny Kravitz/Aerosmith concert tonight and asked if I'd like to go. Granted, I'm not the world's biggest fan of either band but when you get a free ticket offered for something like that, you take it. Or at least I do. So I did.

Good times. Kravitz played a lot of his hits from the past 5-10 years, while Aerosmith largely focused on their classic hits from the 70s and 80s with only a couple songs from 1990+ thrown in. Here's some observations:

1) Steven Tyler might just be the only man on earth that can wear multiple brightly-colored and/or patterned silk scarves and not be accused of being homosexual by the American public.

2) Tyler was using a wireless microphone so he could trapse around the stage and surrounding "piers" that spiked off, but when he went to remove it from the stand he couldn't - it was tied in by multiple brightly-colored and/or patterned silk scarves (for real!) so he had to just carry the microphone stand with him everywhere he walked.

3) While Tyler was walking through the crowd ladies proceeded to throw their panties at him - a tradition long held by lovers of rock stars and Wayne Newton/Tom Jones. That got me thinking...as much as the idea appeals to my love of the ladyfolk, if girls threw their thongs at me while I was walking around work, I don't quite know what I'd do. I suspect I'll never have to worry about that, so let's move on.

4) A short-sleeve, cotton concert T was $35; long sleeve was $55, hoodie was $75. I thought they maybe just forgot to switch out the price buttons from the hockey game last night, so I got in line to ask. They didn't forget. I got out of line and went back to my seat.

5) There was quite a variety of ladies there, ranging from 16-60, and from trailer trash to stunningly beautiful. And I saw more breasts there than I really cared to. Many of them were decades old and hadn't seen a bra since the training bra they wore 40+ years ago. I think I tripped on a couple of them. But there were definitely some good ones, though; and if you like breasts (and I know that many of you are big fans), it was a good concert to be at.

6) I've never heard of tailgating after the event, but evidently I was in the minority. I saw more people sitting on the back of trucks after the concert workin' on a 12-pack than I really wanted to. My only consolation was that they were drinking in a parking lot and NOT on the roadways.

7) We haven't had rain in almost 110 consecutive days here, but it was still f'n cold outside after the concert.

8) Kravitz put on a great opening act, and his band sounded far superior to Aerosmith from a tech/accoustics standpoint. Aerosmith had the guitars so loud that it simply pushed the red line so the vocals were largely indecipherable, the lead guitar became distorted (not the effect kind, the crappy kind) and 1/2 the mic's on the drum set were effectively rendered useless.

9) As good as Kravitz' band sounded, I had to continually get up and stand behind a wall in the concourse. The bass drum was hitting so hard that my heart started palpitating as bad as it ever has, and I now start to wonder if it's time to finally go on medication for it.

10) Steven Tyler's lips have got to be some of the widest and loosest around (kinda like Hayden's mom's - you can put that in the blog if you like). He can still whale on the vocals but at some points I swear he was attempting to ingest a watermelon whole.

2 comments:

Hayden said...

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. No self-serving on the mom jokes! :)

Anonymous said...

Your mom's self serving!