Monday, February 27, 2006

How Cool Would This Be?

I have to admit, I watched the closing ceremonies of the Olympics last night hoping to see a redux of the openers, waiting for that Mystery Science Theater 3000-esque moment where production became perfect blog material. It didn't happen.

But I'm not disappointed. Not in this case. Just before they aired the closing ceremonies, they displayed a condensed version of the mens 50km cross-country ski race in which Italy's Georgio Di Centa sprinted to the front of the pack...

Just to cross the finish line first in front of his countrymen and celebrate like this...
...and have 30,000 more of your countrymen cheering for you and singing with you as your national anthem is played because you won the gold medal.
By the way, the gold medal was presented to him by his sister, a previous Olympic gold medal winner, so it wasn't just in front of his countrymen but his family as well. It doesn't get much better than that - not only realizing the goal of previous four years of pain and hard work, but doing so in front of friends, family, and countrymen on your home turf while on international television.

That's good stuff. If that were me, I'd have balled my eyes out up on the medal stand.

It made me remember how much I missed my sister. I haven't spoken to her in about twenty months, and haven't seen her in a little over four years. Sad thing is, so much has happened in each of our lives now that I'm not sure the relationship would ever be the same even if we did start talking again. But god, how I miss her.

Sis, if by some chance you're reading this, I love ya'.

No comments: