Monday, October 24, 2005

Library cards and Lattes

A friend of mine began to wax eloquently on bookstores, books, and the universe of knowledge out there which got me thinking (danger, will robinson, danger!!!)...

I enjoy bookstores because they are humbling...they remind me of just how much I don't know. You would think I would like libraries for the same reason but there's two major differences. One, libraries have the stigma (and often reality) of work associated with them...you go there for research/because you have to when you're younger and that pattern continues for decades. Bah. New books that I can flip through w/o buying anything give me a far more joy than flipping through old books that I don't have to buy. It's like I get to learn something that I want to learn and stick it to the man all the while. And the other reason? Bookstores sell coffee inside, whereas libraries tend to discourage bringing in drinks. Note to libraries - I can read a hell of a lot more when I'm awake!!!!

2 comments:

Jason said...

I agree with you on most parts, except that the sheer oldness of books in libraries sometimes entices me.

Starfire said...

MMMMMMMhMMMMM