Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Hodgepodge

-90 degrees is too damn hot for an American November day. I don't necessarily want 36 inches of fresh powder, either, but forgive me if I long for fall temperatures that actually feel like fall temperatures.

-There are certain buzzwords that seem to capture the minds and hearts of business professionals. People in the IT industry seem to like the words "robust" and "solution" quite a bit recently; generaly speaking, I don't want these words to be remotely associated with the software I use. For one, when a company markets its software as a "solution," often times it ends up becoming the "problem." Either the business becomes entirely dependant upon it so that if it goes down then work grinds to a halt OR they can't get it to work in the first place. As for robust...well, the only thing "robust" software seems to do is cost the buyer ten times as much. Screw that. I don't need to spend tens of thousands of dollars to be pissed of at my software. Bill Gates already saw to that.

-It looks like Thursday night is gonna be poker night. Not a guarantee yet, but if I go then it would be a bunch of people from work drinking beer and attempting to play cards. If their drunken poker skill resembles their sober fantasy drafting skills in the least then I *should* finish no lower than second. That being said, someone will probably go heads up with me on a jackass call and win on the river. That'd be fitting.

-I'm so glad hockey is back! Go Coyotes! They haven't won a playoff series for around twenty years now but I don't much care at the moment. Just being able to see the players throw around the puck again is refreshing.

-I'll never again take a full night's sleep for granted after last week. Not being able to sleep through the night for 7 out of 8 nights just sucks. Knowing that parents of newborns go through similar streaks for months makes me somewhat surprised that any of us are even lived through infancy.

No comments: