Sunday, October 08, 2006

The reality of postponement

During dinner today my aunt was all excited and broke out a bag from her suitcase full of lots of clunky stuff and sported a smile ear-to-ear.

"It's Christmas early!"

Oh, joy. Gifts good. Christmas...not so much.

Among other gifts, she gives each of us a Christmas cd to listen to on the way to Oceanside next week. The problem with that is I'm not going to Oceanside any more. We originally rented the condo during a week that was particularly free of scheduling conflicts at work. No matter what I wasn't going to get to take a whole week, but four days was definitely doable.

Then the changes at work came, and both pilots of two new technologies being implimented at work were moved to Oceanside week. I'm on the project team for both technologies, and the team I manage at work is part of the pilot team for each project. Translated - no vacation for me. No good leader ditches his team during a week like that.

Although I knew that the vacation was now out of the picture, the reality of it didn't truly hit me until I saw my aunt and my folks all happy and giddy and smiling about the trip. So now I have a week to listen to an Irish Christmas CD and contemplate where I'd like to go for my next vacation attempt (and when) while my family enjoys a beachfront condo in SoCal (and I potentially duck-and-cover at work if something goes wrong with the new toys).

So no, Brooke, I don't have your birthday off :-(

Anybody got any vacation ideas for kinda cheap?

No comments: